219-362-1577

Firm History

Newby, Lewis, Kaminski & Jones

Newby, Lewis, Kaminski & Jones, LLP began as the law firm of Doran and Conboy.

Francis “Frank” J. Conboy was born in 1875 and was a 1904 graduate of Notre Dame University and its law school. He settled in La Porte, Indiana, and in 1907 became a partner of La Porte attorney Philo Q. Doran.

Philo Q. Doran was born in 1872 and was a 1891 graduate of Elston High School in Michigan City. He was admitted to the Bar of LaPorte in 1895.

Their law office was located at 710 Michigan Avenue in La Porte. They practiced together until Mr. Doran died.

Frank Conboy (1875-1955)

Frank Conboy (1875-1955)

Shortly thereafter, in 1935, Mr. Conboy asked William C. Pusch, a 1931 University of Michigan Law School graduate, to join him. They formed the law firm of Conboy & Pusch. Their offices were located above what was then the Andrew Bank at 810 1/2 Lincolnway in La Porte, which Attorneys Doran and Conboy had occupied for many years.

Mr. Conboy became the Judge of the La Porte Circuit Court by appointment of the Governor after the death of the regularly elected Judge. He served the remainder of the judge’s term from 1943 to 1944 while Mr. Pusch practiced alone. Conboy & Pusch resumed when Mr. Conboy’s term expired in 1944. In 1948, the firm moved to Suite 202 of La Porte’s First National Bank Building.

Mr. Pusch died at forty-six in October of 1951. Mr. Conboy practiced alone until February of 1952 when John E. Newby joined him. The law firm of Conboy & Newby continued at the same location until Mr. Conboy died on March 4, 1955.

Mr. Newby practiced alone until August 1, 1955 when Daniel E. Lewis joined him to form Newby & Lewis. Their offices were still at the First National Bank Building.

Leon R. Kaminski began a solo law practice in La Porte in 1950. He brought his growing practice into the firm on January 1, 1958, as it became Newby, Lewis & Kaminski, still with offices in the First National Bank Building.

In 1961, Daniel E. Lewis, Jr. became associated with the firm. He became a partner in 1966.

Gene M. Jones had been a captain in the Judge Advocate General’s Office of the United States Air Force when he joined the firm in 1966. He became a partner in 1973, at which time the firm name was changed to Newby, Lewis, Kaminski & Jones.